Poison Prevention

Each month, SPCA Florida’s Animal Medical Center treats poisoned cats and dogs. Most cases involve animals who licked up antifreeze or ate rodent poison.

SPCA Florida offers some easy ways to prevent your dog or cat from ending up in the emergency room as a poisoned patient:

•    Make certain all prescription medicines and cold remedies are securely stored so that wandering noses and curious paws do not get into them.

•    Keep household cleaners, like bleach and detergents, behind a closed cabinet.  Lock it if necessary.

•    Make certain all antifreeze and other toxic substances are stored in high places where the animal cannot reach. Antifreeze offers a sweet, tantalizing scent to pets, so don’t put it past Fido to knock over a box or storage container and start licking up the deadly liquid.

•    Monitor your animal outside to make sure they don’t get into common, but toxic household plants, such as lilies and amaryllis.

•    Don’t let your pet linger in one spot for too long while taking a walk. Poisonous toads may lurk nearby and one curious lick could harm your animal.

Prevent a frightful trip to the vet by pet-proofing your home for common pet poisons and pay special attention to where their four paws go exploring and what they’re getting into.

If you suspect your pet has ingested a poison, call SPCA Florida’s Animal Medical Center immediately at 863-646-4647 or bring him/her in immediately. After-hours cases should be taken to your nearest emergency veterinary clinic.