Puppy Chews Live Wire, Sustains Burns

Mason 27895586 happyPuppies will be puppies! That was exactly the case with 2-month-old Hound Mix, Mason who arrived at SPCA Florida’s McClurg Animal Medical Center with burns on his muzzle because he chewed into a live electrical wire. Unwilling to pay the treatment cost, Mason’s guardians surrendered him to SPCA Florida.

Veterinary staff immediately gave Mason a steroid to reduce his muzzle swelling, followed by antibiotics and pain medication. X-rays showed cloudy lung fields, common with electrocution cases, but by the next day Mason’s wheezing had decreased. The next day he had only minimal swelling, but maximum fans as staff and visitors quickly fell in love with this playful puppy. Mason is being weaned off his steroid, will be neutered and then made available for adoption. (Interested in adopting him? Click here.)

Mason 27895586 with Medical Center front office staffThanks to Guardian Angel Fund’s $200 investment, Mason will have the opportunity to lead a happy and healthy life. Mason’s case serves as a reminder that young pets can and will get into anything and everything. It also demonstrates the importance of having either pet insurance or a pet emergency fund given how costly unexpected veterinary care can be. Click here for two free months of Embrace Pet Insurance and then check out SPCA Florida’s tips below to keep kittens and puppies safe during their especially adventurous months.

  1. Toxic Substances – make sure all chemicals, cleaners, medications, and other potentially harmful substances (even avocados and grapes) are out of reach. Purchase childproof latches if necessary.
  2. Ordinary Home Dangers – To prevent drowning accidents put down the toilet lid and keep an eye on little ones (two and four-legged) near the pool or bath. Be sure to check all closets and rooms before shutting the doors too.
  3. Reachable, Chewable – If your puppy or kitten can reach an object—electrical wire, string from curtains, lost objects under counters, they are more than likely going to chew it. Constant supervision is highly recommended and crating or a room free of potential chewing/choking hazards is recommended when you’re not home.