From licking up antifreeze in the garage to nibbling on the azaleas blooming in your spring flowerbed, many common items are tempting but toxic for pets. Each month the SPCA McClurg Animal Medical Center treats pets for poison; most cases involve antifreeze and rat and roach poison ingestion. Since March is Poison Prevention month, the SPCA has some easy ways to avoid the stress of a sick pet and expensive emergency vet trip by pet-proofing your home. Save yourself and your pet the hassle of having to induce vomiting, the most common poison treatment, by following these helpful tips:
- Ensure all prescription medicines and cold remedies are securely stored so that wandering noses and curious paws do not get into them.
- Sampling household cleaners like bleach and detergents can cause pets upset stomach, eye and skin irritation and other unpleasant side effects.
- Just in case your pet sneaks into the garage, make certain all antifreeze and other substances or objects that could be chewed are stored in high places where the pet cannot reach. Antifreeze offers a sweet, tantalizing scent to pets so don’t put it past Fido to knock over a box or storage container and start lapping up the deadly liquid.
- To ensure your four-legged family members don’t get into common but toxic household plants like lilies and amaryllis, always monitor your pet when he or she is outdoors and be mindful of where you place gift bouquets.
- When going on walks, especially at night, don’t let your pet linger in one spot for too long. Poisonous toads may lurk nearby and one curious lick could harm your animal.
Prevent a frightful trip to the vet by pet-proofing your home for common pet poisons and pay special attention to where their four paws go exploring, and just what they’re getting into. If you suspect your pet has ingested a poison, call or bring your pet to the SPCA Medical Center immediately, (863) 646-7722. After hour cases should be taken to your nearest emergency veterinary clinic.