Adoption Center will CLOSE at 4 pm on Saturday, July 4th.
It will re-open for regular business hours on Sunday, July 5th 11 am to 5 pm.
Adoption Center Hours:
Monday through Sunday, 11 am to 5 pm
We hope you meet your four-legged love at SPCA Florida! Our goal is to help you find a companion that best suits your household. We have wonderful animals available and a great deal of information to share with you.
What to Consider Before Adoption
- Pets require a significant time commitment.
- A pet’s life span can be from 5-20 years. Some animals are better with children than others. Please consider your future plans before bringing home a furry companion.
- Animals require a financial commitment. Food, treats, toys, veterinary check-ups and preventative medications can add up.
It’s important you meet your potential pet and allow for interaction between your household and any other pets you currently own.
When you arrive at the Adoption Center we invite you to take a look around and meet the animals. We encourage you and your family to spend time with each pet you are interested in to see which is the best fit. Our trained staff and volunteers are happy to answer questions about the animals and provide you with whatever background information we have regarding that pet. Please keep in mind we do not always know all of the adoptable animals’ history or background depending on how they arrived at SPCA Florida.
If you currently have a dog at home we recommend you bring him or her in to interact with your potential new dog.
When you find a pet you would like to adopt the next step is to fill out an Adoption Application, which will be reviewed with you by one of our trained counselors. The counselors will answer any questions you may have. If the pet is already sterilized he or she can go home the same day, otherwise the surgery is normally scheduled the next day and the pet can go home the day of surgery. Please note adopters must be 18 years or older and present a valid photo ID, and no adoptions are processed 30 minutes prior to closing.
Adoption fees vary depending on species, breed and age. The fee includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery for unsterilized pets
- Dogs are dewormed, tested for heartworms (if negative they receive a 30-day heartworm preventative; if positive ][=treatment is paid for by the Guardian Angel Fund at SPCA Florida’s Medical Center) and receive vaccinations for canine distemper, adenovirus type 2, parainfluenza, parvovirus and rabies (if age appropriate)
- Cats are dewormed, tested for feline leukemia and feline aids and receive vaccinations for feline distemper, rhinotracheitis, calici virus and rabies (if age appropriate)
- SPCA Florida ID tag
- Educational material